Iranian rock salt is excavated from natural mines and also depending on its composing elements and the content of sodium chloride falls into different categories. The main ingredients of rock salt are mostly sodium and chloride which in fact are vital ingredients in many industries. The sodium chloride content in it excavated from mines located in SEMNAN province (especially GARMSAR) varies from 90-99%, which in turn determines the application and selling price of the salt.
The color of Iranian rock salt varies from colorless (white) to light or dark blue, pink, red, orange, yellow, or grey depending on the content and type of impurity in rock salt.
In Iran, Rock salt is crushed into different sized after being transported to the salt factories which are established near mines.
Rock salt size and uses:
Above all Using vibration sieves as classifiers separate salt grains into different sizes with different usages and characteristics.
- Fine: Table salt which is mostly treated by potassium iodate and anti-caking agent.
- Medium: usually separated grains in the range of 0.8-1.2 mm and 1.2-2.5 mm
- Coarse (oversize): also called which is consist of grains over 2.5 mm
also Nowadays, the most direct usage of Iran rock salt is in chloride and sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) producing industries:
- tannery and textile industries
- drilling mud (through increasing density and stability)
- production of aluminum (avoiding impurity)
- rubber production (separating rubber from latex)
- detergent production (filler)
- soap production (separating soap from glycerol)
- resin retrieval (using 10% brine, boilers)
- water softening and producing soft water
- and many other industries.
as a result, refined salt cannot be a suitable substitution for salt regarding taste and trace elements contain.